Sunday, October 6, 2013

Antigua - a hot shower and inner peace

Is there something better, on a chilly morning when your body is tired and achy, than a long shower with plentiful hot water?  Maybe.  But this morning I couldn't think of anything.  I have read that the key to contentment/inner peace/happiness, is being fully present in the moment and being appreciative of what, in that moment, is readily available to you.  Not allowing an undisciplined mind to chatter or wander around, exploring regrets of the past, fears of the future and desires unfulfilled.  This morning I totally got it.  Months of unrelenting heat, stifling humidity and trying to find relief under an indifferent trickle of tepid water from the sun-baked roof-top tanks.  This morning I hustle from under my cozy nest of blankets - goosebumps forming while I wait for the water to heat - to stand under a steady stream of hot hot water.  For a time I was aware only of those sensations and thought of nothing but how good it was.  Then I realised I was very very hungry.  Ok inner peace.   Nice while it lasted.  Now to feed my inner hunger.  I'm off in search of breakfast.

Antigua is..... just as I left her last time.  Beautiful and full of creative, artistic, delicious diversions.  Culinary and otherwise.  I have just a day to get a head start on some jewelry orders and I have a few issue to solve here - mainly how to get costs down without sacrificing quality of design and materials.  This is one category in which I would like to be able to offer better pricing to my customers.  I meet with my jewelers and discuss designs, materials and pricing.  I also meet with a potential new jeweler - the lovely Alejandra - she does fab bead work.  I have a great feeling from her and she seems to quickly understand me and what I want.  We go shopping together and buy a few "samples" as inspiration.  Have I mentioned how much I like "samples" in this line of work?  I really hope it works out with her.  Put in my orders with all three - the new LALA jewelry collection is going to be stunning.

The rest of the day is spent seeking inspiration and new ideas.  Getting some lessons in sales tactics from the tiny kids selling scarfs and other Maya handcrafts on the streets.  Taking lots of notes, photos (when permitted) and buying samples for items to include in LALA range this Christmas.  Its a bit overwhelming really.  Antiguan shops/galleries also provide great inspiration for merchandizing and displaying goods.  Such a wonderful concentration of talented and creative people.

I'm visiting with Monique - a lovely lady and my favorite art dealer - when a massive thunderstorm comes over us and torrential rain pours down.  Luckily Bistrot Cinq is just next door and I duck in for coffee and a mid-afternoon dessert - poached pears with toasted almond slivers and ice-cream.  Yum.

I never miss dinner at Hector's when in Antigua and tonight was as good as always. Beef tenderloin - medium rare - served over spinach in a blue-cheese cream sauce and roasted potatoes.  Cozy atmosphere,  Great service.
Nice one.

Back to Casa Cristina.  Cozy again under the heavy woolen blankets.  My mind returns to the topic of my morning shower - inner peace, contentment and being fully present in the moment.  There are only a few occasions where I can say I really experience this.  When scuba diving, when skiing, when traveling.  Not the kind of corporate travel I used to do (commute to work would be a better description for that), but the solo exploration of new places and culture purely for the pleasure of discovery.  Somehow suspended in time and isolated from worries of the past and the future.  Playing the role of observer rather than participant.  All senses fully occupied with what is being experienced right now.  A sense of anticipation only for what might happen in the next minutes. For me it is truly peaceful.  On that note.  Time for bed.  But maybe first... just one more hot shower.

More about Antigua
More about LALA

La Inglesia Merced. Antigua, Guatemala

El Calle del Arco.  Antigua, Guatemala

Street smarts.  Antigua, Guatemala

El Arco.  Antigua, Guatemala

What's behind the green door?  Antigua, Guatemala

Things are not what they seem.  Many of Antigua's beautiful gardens are hidden.  Antigua, Guatemala

Always with an eye to detail. Antigua, Guatemala

Handmade tiles and flowers. Antigua, Guatemala

Knock knock. Antigua, Guatemala

Parque Central. Antigua, Guatemala

Shop entry. Antigua, Guatemala

El Calle del Arco after the rain.  Antigua, Guatemala







No comments:

Post a Comment