Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Lake Atitlan - does this look like work?

This morning I wake early by the sun rising over Lake Atitlan and beaming through the picture windows at the foot of my bed.  I stretch, basking in the view and the suns early rays.  Enjoy the chilly air the and heavy cozy feeling of rough woolen blankets.  Contemplate a return to sleep.  Then I remember.... this is a business trip and I am supposed to be working.  Is there anything work-like I could take care of before I go riding at 9?  Yes in fact there is.  I need to finish specifications for some commissioned works before I visit the two artists tomorrow.   OK lets get that knocked over.  Done and emailed by 8am!  Time for a coffee and croissant before my ride.
Spectacular morning.  Mist lifting and temperature quickly rising.  Canella (Cinnamon) is the sweetest little horse.  Her ears constantly swivel back to catch my voice.  She is responsive to the slightest shift in seat or pressure of leg. Pure delight to canter along the lake shore.  There are no other people.   Just my guide who who leads us on a trail towards Santiago - an area I am not familiar with.
We stop an an elevated point overlooking the lake and the view is spectacular.  Jose indicates I should dismount and follow him down a trail.  I hesitate for a split-second.  Isolated place.  Noone knows I'm here. Strange man.  Mysterious overgrown jungle trail.  This is possibly a situation the guidebooks would use as an example of tourist doing something very dumb.  But then I've seen how Jose is with the horses - they love him and clearly do not fear him.  Maybe doesn't make it less dumb but I decide to trust in that.  I follow him down the trail, skidding on my arse part of the way as the loamy soil gives way under my boots.  Pushing aside vines and heavy branches.  I loose sight of him.  Then turning a corner come out in to a clearing on the lake shore.  Stunning view and a flat rock to sit on.  This is how it goes - taking small leaps of faith.   Friendships are forged and unforgettable travel experiences are made.   A small indian village on the lake shore. The three volcanoes swim and and out of sight as clouds pass by overhead.  Two small stone cottages with smoke coming from chimneys.  Small kids playing.  Chickens, roosters, dogs.  So homey.  As neat and clean as you can imagine.  Even the dirt around the houses is swept.  We buy a cold drink and sit by the lake.  Soak up the view.  Some small conversation but no pressure to talk.  So mellow.  Jose and I get on the topic of life by the Lake Atitlan.  I mention how much I would love to live there some day, but that I worry there is not enough job opportunity to afford to live.  "No" agrees Jose "San Pedro no es bueno para el dinero. Sólo por amor".   So true.

Check out LALA Gallery Facebook at Latin American Lifestyle and Art (LALA) or the website at www.latinamericanlifestyleandart.com.

View from bed

My office for the week

Trail to the stables

Sweet Canella - the most lovely little horse

Jose my guide

Just another magic view.  Volcano in the background

Cottage in the forest where we stopped for a cool drink

Lake Atitlan


No comments:

Post a Comment