Friday, October 4, 2013

A day in Copan - friends, horses, Maya fertility sites, cheese and turkeys :-)

Awesome day.  Garry and I spent the morning riding up in the mountains.  Went to Hacienda San Lucas for coffee and hiked in to see "El Sapon" the ancient Maya fertility site. Gorgeous scenery, fresh air, horseback riding and long talk with a good friend.  Was great to really catch up.  My idea of a perfect day.  Back to Copan for a delicious lunch at BCH -  chicken korma with coconut milk and almond sauce and served with saffron rice, minted yogurt and banana chutney.   Amazing.

Did a tour of some local art galleries and found some amazing Lenca jewelry which I will absolutely have to carry in LALA.  Bought some pieces as "samples" - haha "sample" is my favorite word in my new job.  I have a principle to only buy directly from the artist or individual artisan who makes the item.  But if I find great stuff in another gallery or store I always buy a few pieces to say "thanks for the find".  Then, in the case of jewelry I use the "samples" to test peoples reaction which is a nice business-like way of saying I get to parade around in fabulous assortment of jewelry and ask people "what do you think?" and then sit back to receive all the compliments :-D

Found some amazing hand-made leather shoes which look great and are super comfortable.  Also made in Honduras from an artisan lether working company called Mayan Roots.  Check it out.  Love their shoes!!
Mayan Roots
Such talented artists in Honduras and they are largely unknown around the world.  Love doing my little bit to try and change that.

Ran into some friends from Roatán in Parque Central.  Small world eh.  Garry and I went to San Raffael for a sample plate of their lush artisan cheeses.  Wow.  Great day.  My bum is sore - it's been probably a year since I was on horse back - and I'm tired.  Another early night. I'll be sad to leave my friends tomorrow.  Taking the Hedman-Alas bus to Antigua. Oh yes Antigua.  Can't wait :-D

Latin American Lifestyle and Art (LALA) at Facebook

Garry, a horse's bum, and a couple of turkeys

Me and Chica Loca (seriously that's the name of my horse). 

The view is worth the climb (especially when ChicaLoca is the one doing the climbing)

Me and Chica Loca again.  She really wasn't all the crazy.  Maybe in her youth.... could I relate?  oh yes

Beautiful gardens in Hacienda San Lucas where we stopped for coffee

Maya fertility site - Los Sapos -  on the grounds of Casa San Lucas.  

Los Sapos means the frog or toad.

Hilly cobblestone streets of Copan

Tuk tuk at parque central

Parque Central Copan

Parque Central in Copan

Maiz features prominently in Maya diet and religious and cultural symbolism

No comments:

Post a Comment