Monday, March 4, 2013

Antigua to Oaxaca... by bus


A while since my last blog, I know.  I’ve been too busy riding bloody buses and squeezing a little shopping in between.  At least that’s how it feels.  Left Antigua on Monday at 4am (!) to make Guatemala City in time for the Dorado bus to Tapachula, Mexico.  The gorgeous scenery is almost enough to keep my mind off the artic temperatures inside the bus.  I layer on every piece of clothing I have with me and huddle up to enjoy the show as the vista unrolls outside the window – miles of jungle, banana plantations, smoking volcanoes, the works.   We stop at a road-side restaurant for breakfast looking, no doubt, quite strange in our crazy mismatched layers of polar fleece and wooly hats given the scorching heat of the morning.  Arrive Tapachula around 1pm and my plans for a quick tour of the city evaporate in the mid-day heat as I realize there is no way to store or check-in luggage at the bus station.  Instead, and almost as good, I sit in the bus station café for 5 hours before, finally, it is time to board the night bus to Oaxaca. 

It has been a long day and as I board the ADO bus I am desperately hoping to sleep for most of the 12 hour trip.    It is not to be.   Blasts of frigid air kept me relentlessly alert.  I fall, from sheer exhaustion, into a cramped uncomfortable sleep only to be roughly woken by a demanding voice and a flashlight beam.  These two events will repeat, in a strange and cruel cycle, five times over the course of the night.  Four times my bleary eyes open (reluctantly) to the unfriendly face of a Mexican army officer requesting my passport (further shining of flashlight in face as he makes a lengthy comparison to the passport photo which, as luck would have it, doesn’t look much like me anymore).  The fifth time they open to a tiny but no less intimidating Mexican woman furiously shaking a bin bag in my face and shouting “Basura!  Basura!” (as much as I fumbled desperately around my seat I was unable to find any rubbish with which to appease her and she shoots me a look of contempt before marching back down the aisle).   

On one occasion (I don’t know what time but in the dark dead of night) army officers board the bus and walk down the aisle herding us off.  Sleep-dopey and light-blinded we stagger off the bus and into the harsh glare of spot-lights.  Military officers with machine guns observe from truck beds and form a gauntlet through which we must pass as they wave us to the back of the bus.  I struggle to come fully awake and make sense of the commands being barked to me in Spanish.    I can’t see beyond the glare of the spotlights but it is none-the-less apparent we are on a dark and lonely stretch of highway.   At the open door of the luggage compartment I’m asked to identify my bags.   For a split second my gut twists with fear, sure that something in my luggage has the potential to send me directly to a Mexican prison.  Then my rational brain kicks in (breathe, they did not set up this roadblock to check how many jade pendants you bought in Antigua).  We take our bags, carry them across the highway.  Wait in line.  Pass them through a mobile x-ray machine.  Get the all-clear from the observing officer (slight chin-lift and machine-gun muzzle-tilt to indicate I should move on).  Return to the bus.  Stow the bags.  Board the bus.  Is that all?  Bit of an anti-climax really.  I fall asleep again.    

Wake, disoriented, with the sense that something is not as it should be.  The bus is not moving and bright light filters through the curtains.  Did we arrive? Is it morning?   I look out window.  It is still the dead of night.  We appear to be parked in a bus maintenance yard in the middle of no-where.  Two men have the bus jacked up and are removing the wheels.  What the??  Bus driver is leaning against a stack of tires.  Loooking on and casually smoking a cigarette.  He doesn’t appear concerned and I don’t really want to know.  I go back to sleep.  Wake to a cold foggy dawn as the bus pulls into Oaxaca.  Stumble down the steps feeling pretty ordinary: tired cold hungry dirty.  6:30 is too early to go to the posada so I huddle miserably in the bus station having a cup of tea.  Looking (as a kind Dutch woman at the posada later informed me) like a homeless person on drugs.  

The reception at Casa del Sol doesn’t open till 8am, but at 7:15 relieving my discomfort becomes more important than prolonging the sleep of people who have just spent a warm and cozy night in a nice bed.  So I grab a taxi and get set to hammer on the door until someone opens up.  Thankfully I arrive at the same time as a trio of lovely German girls who have also arrived early.  I let them do the knocking and just give Guillermo an apologetic shrug as he opens the door.   Guillermo has my room ready.  I really want to hug him but am afraid it may appear overly (and perhaps inappropriately) emotional so just take the key and go silently to that blessed sanctuary.  I need a recovery program.  I take a long hot shower and spend 45 minutes under the covers watching an episode of Downton Abbey on my laptop.  I re-emerge to the sun and flower-filled courtyard where the breakfast table is laid out.  I am immediately enfolded into the chatter of the other guests.  They are filled with happy anticipation of their day in Oaxaca and so, I realize, am I.

Smoking volcanoe!  view from the bus window.

View from the bus window



Oaxaca city street scene






No comments:

Post a Comment