Tuesday, April 23, 2013

On my way to Nicaragua

I'm in Tegucigalpa (Honduras) on my way to Nicaragua.  Figured a little trip was just what I needed to get me motivated and energized again.  I can use it as a scouting mission and maybe even buying trip for the gallery.  I've never been to Nicaragua and have always wanted to check it out.  About a year ago I saw some amazing ceramics by a Nicaraguan artist in a gallery in Antigua.  So why not use the time now before the gallery opens?   

I left Roatan today on the 7am ferry to La Ceiba (Galaxy Wave).  From Ceiba the Hedman Alas bus to Tegucigalpa (via San Pedro Sula).  Tomorrow there is a 5am TransNica bus from Teguc to Managua, capital of Nicaragua.  I feel better already.  I even broke my "writers block" and finished two of the "behind the art" stories while I was on the bus.  Awesome.  

I love the spontaneity and sense of adventure afforded by bus travel in Central America.  The international and local bus networks are so extensive you can get pretty much anywhere and, assuming you have time to spare, little forward planning is required.  The international buses are super comfortable and I love being able to watch the landscape transition from city to village, jungle to desert. Mountain to sea.  It is necessary to leave the bus and cross international borders on foot which for me really enhances the thrill of exploration.   

The local bus rides are a wonderful cultural experience and a chance to meet some of the local people.  They nearly always find it amusing to find a tall blond women riding alone and want to know why I am traveling without my husband or my children.  They are kind of wide-eyed to find I have neither.  I have received many marriage proposals on local buses in Central America. 

1 comment:

  1. Fun following you on your new adventures, which now even include marriage proposals!

    ReplyDelete